Bartleby’s mission is to empower people to do good for themselves, the animals, and the planet—one meal at a time.
Our Commitment to the Environment
Our completely plant-based seitan requires less land and less water to produce than cutlets or nuggets made with actual chicken. We began serving in April of 2018, and since then have saved thousands of chickens, thousands of gallons of water, and offset thousands of pounds of carbon dioxide. To see how we calculated these figures, see the blog post on Our Environmental Impact.
Our Guiding Principles
How do we achieve our three-part mission?
- We serve delicious, convenient, and affordable food that is completely free of animal products and packaged in 100% biodegradable containers.
- We create a menu that is suitable for a variety of people. We aim to produce food that is free of most major allergens: dairy, eggs, fish, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and peanuts. It is kosher-friendly, and can be enjoyed by vegans, vegetarians, and carnivores alike.
- We provide warm and friendly service to all individuals and strive to positively influence their day. We seek to serve all members of our diverse community, regardless of their gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, age, ability, ethnicity, and cultural background.
- We treat our partners with fairness and respect.
- We operate a sustainable business. We honor those who support us by making choices that allow for profitable growth and expansion of our customer base, while still adhering to our core mission.
- We provide a safe working environment and professional development for staff. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants. We expressly prohibit any form of workplace harassment.
- We play an active role in the community, and return the assistance we’ve received by giving back a portion of our time and money.