Holy hell, devils, we're excited about this luscious, savory stroganoff recipe. It makes a great meal for your wicked winter table, but we'd gladly eat it all year long. Make a velvety, herbaceous sauce with savory mushrooms and let some Crispy Seitan Nuggets go for a swim.
Stroganoff, a Russian comfort dish, is traditionally made with pieces of beef and a sauce enriched with sour cream. The Bartleby's version is totally vegan (duh), swaps dairy cream for coconut milk, and the beef gets the boot for our craggy nuggies. For the coconut averse, fret not! Herbs, a little dijon mustard, garlic, and lemon flavors play center stage―all you taste from the coconut milk is its creaminess. You might normally see stroganoff over a bed of egg noodles, but feel free to use your favorite egg-free pasta instead (we used ribbons of malfadine) or rice or shoestring potatoes.
Full recipe is on this page, and we've also got a printable PDF version available:
Bartleby's_Food_BAH_recipe_printable_seitan_shroom_stroganoff.pdf (2 MB)
Gather and prep all your ingredients before starting to cook!
- Bartleby’s Crispy Seitan Nuggets - Original Recipe, half pack (8 nuggets)
- 8 oz of mushrooms, sliced
- 1 TB plant butter
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 C coconut milk
- 1 C vegetable broth
- 1 TB dijon mustard
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 TB fresh parsley, finely chopped (for optional garnish)
Here are the kitchen items you need to prepare the dish:
- oven and stove top
- baking sheet and spatula or flipper
- large deep skillet (about 12") and heat-safe stirring spoon
- cutting board and knife
- We used a mix of baby bella and baby shiitake mushrooms in our test version of this recipe, but feel free to use any small mushroom. Cremini are a great option, as are the common white button mushroom.
- We like Earth Balance® Soy Free Buttery Sticks for a plant butter option, and Vegetarian Better Than Bouillon® No Chicken Base for a vegetable broth option, which is soy-free.
- This recipe makes two generous portions.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place skillet over medium-low heat and melt the butter. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the slices have begun to soften, about 5 minutes.
- While the onions soften, get your seitan nuggies reheating. Place nuggets on an ungreased baking sheet on the center rack of your oven. Bake 10-15 minutes, flipping about halfway through. They should be heated through to the center, and the hand-battered coating should start to sizzle and crisp up. (See our Reheating Instructions for more oven options.)
- Add garlic to the skillet, stir, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and a pinch of kosher salt, stir. The mushrooms will release liquid as they cook, so keep stirring for about 5 minutes, and scrape up any yummy browned bits on the bottom of the pan with your spoon.
- Add coconut milk, vegetable broth, and dijon mustard. Turn up the heat to medium and bring the sauce to a simmer. Keep on stirring, until reduced in volume by half.
- Remove the skillet from heat, and stir in the lemon juice and thyme. Taste, and add ground black pepper and more salt to your liking.
- If yer feeling fancy, pile the heated nuggets on a platter and spoon the very warm stroganoff sauce around and over the craggy nuggz. Garnish with a sprinkle of parsley, let all the devils at the table serve themselves, and then stuff yer faces!